4. Maximize Company Matching

If your company offers a retirement plan matching program, meaning that they will match up to a certain percentage of the money you invest, be sure to take advantage of it right from the start.

This is essentially β€œfree” money going into your retirement account, and you should invest as much as you can up to or beyond the match limit in order to maximize your savings.2

My husband’s company, for example, will contribute an extra 4 percent when he invests 8 percent of his own earnings, for a total investment level of 12 percent.

If he only invested 6 percent of his earnings, he would receive just a 3 percent match.

If he invested more than 8 percent of his earnings, he would still receive a maximum 4 percent match while increasing his overall investment level.

Establish Healthy Habits
Explore more ...